top of page

Old Convent of St.Agostin

The church has a simple classicist front and a mixtilinear top, a Latin cross plan with a marked transept, a dome with painted pendants and a flat front. The most original space is the rococo tabernacle decorated with high-quality rocks and a spectacular Eucharistic pavilion.

“The Gothic church of San Agustín, after the long and ruinous conflict with Castile known as the War of the Two Peters, and its inclusion within the city's new walled precinct, promoted from 1351 due to adverse circumstances, was rebuilt from of 1369, thanks to an agreement signed between the Augustinians and the City Jurists, and to subsequent subsidies from the City Council. It was then configured as a notable example of the nave of a very large ship, surrounded by high side chapels, which, due to their large proportions, constitutes one of the most important examples of Valencian architecture of its time. (Free translation, in “ LA IGLESIA BARROCA DEL MONASTERIO DE SAN AGUSTÍN DE VALENCIA DANIEL BENITO GOERLICH Universitat de València).”

Currently from the magnificent convent, only the church remains, and not in its original state, as it was restored in 1940 by the architect Javier Goerlich Lleó, after a brutal looting and devastating fire during the revolutionary events of July 1936. The church is Gothic architecture, with a single nave with side chapels and a choir. The building conveys a great feeling of lightness, mainly due to the five large pointed windows in the presbytery.

It is currently the seat of the parish of St. Augustine and St. Catherine, but in its origins it was the main convent of Augustinian religious in Valencia.

It has Temple of Local Interest status since 2007.


The works of art – paintings and much of its sacred art can be found in the Museo Provincial de Bellas Artes.


Upcoming Visits

bottom of page