Bom Jesus Lift
Bom Jesus Lift is located in the Bom Jesus do Monte Sanctuary in Braga. Its construction began in 1880 and was opened on March 25, 1882.
It was built on the initiative of the Braga businessman Manuel Joaquim Gomes (1840-1894) with the purpose of replacing the line of the Americans of Braga (vehicles on horse-drawn rails), which originally extended to the sanctuary and had to have its traction. supplemented by oxen on a steep climb on days of greater affluence.
Operated by the Bom Jesus do Monte Brotherhood, it connects the upper part of the city to the Sanctuary, overcoming a difference of more than one hundred meters in height, and follows a parallel route to the Bom Jesus Stairs, ending at the highest part, next to the equestrian statue of St. Longinus.
Being the first funicular built in the Iberian Peninsula, it is currently the oldest in service in the world to use the water balance system.
On May 23rd, 2013 was classified as a Monument of Public Interest.