Discover the Best of Portugal, Spain, Cabo Verde & Morocco
Former Convent and Church of Sant Domènec
Founded by Jaume I in the Moorish quarter, it was a Gothic convent originally composed of a church, cloister, chapel and refectory, all from the 14th century except the aforementioned refectory which was from the 13th century.
The church began to be built or perhaps expanded in 1323, and underwent a major renovation in the 17th century.
After disintegration, it became a theater and later a cinema. In 1966 the cloister, the chapter room, the refectory and the rest of the dormitories were demolished.
Its ruins have been declared a national monument - the cloister and refectory, as well as the church, have recently been restored.
The church began to be built or perhaps expanded in 1323, and underwent a major renovation in the 17th century. It was originally built in Gothic style, with a single nave plan with six pointed diaphragm arches.
After the disintegration, the temple was confiscated from the ecclesiastical order in 1837. Between 1966 and 1976 the cloister, the chapter room, the refectory and the rest of the dormitories were demolished, leaving only the chapel, which was became a theater and later a cinema
In 1982, already in possession of the municipal government, the convent was declared a Heritage of Cultural Interest.
The current appearance is the result of a restoration carried out between 1988 and 1995, which allows us to observe the different phases the building has gone through (14th to 18th centuries). The original polychrome wood ceiling stands out, as well as the last section and the chancel, which were left with the Rococo roof as a witness. The chapels were also removed and 26 crypts appeared in the basement. The chapter room and the south wing of the cloister were also rebuilt as they were when they were part of the convent, and are open to visitors.
Currently, we can visit the Corpus Christi Museum, which has a permanent exhibition alluding to elements of the traditional festival.