Church of Saint James
The current building of floor or style architecture (basically Mannerist, but with a clear and robust structure, with smooth surfaces and little decoration) results from the architectural and decorative campaign carried out in the seventeenth century, which integrated previous structural elements, namely the main chapel, the triumphal arch and some side chapels.
The church of Saint James is located in Largo Alexandre Herculano, was Royal Collegiate and headquarters of parochial until the year 1840.
Although it dates back to earlier times, it already existed in 1302, the church of Saint James underwent profound architectural refurbishments in the 16th and 17th centuries, preserving, however, some vestiges of the Manueline era, as the presbyteries and beveled battlements still visible in the south wing of the temple.
The interior, of a single and ample nave, is deeply decorated to the taste of the Baroque era. Highlights and vaults covered with frescoes, the side walls lined with panels of historic tiles by the famous potter Gabriel del Barco, representing biblical scenes, and the rich gilded carved altarpiece of the mor chapel (the 18th century).