Saint Martin of Tibães Monastery
The monastery was founded in the 11th century. From the 12th century it was rebuilt by Paulo Guterres da Silva and occupied by the Benedictine Congregation.
The 16th century became the mother house of the Order for Portugal and Brazil, with 22 monasteries in Portugal and 13 in Brazil.
This monastery reached its maximum splendor in the 17th and 18th centuries, dating from centuries the main buildings, after being transformed into the largest monastic ensembles of the portuguese baroque and an important center for the production and diffusion of cultures and aesthetics and Portuguese art, one of the architects who worked in this monastery was André Soares.
The Monastery consists of the church, convent wings and outer space - the fence. The building that exists today was built throughout the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. With a functional architecture, at that time it presented a clear separation between the areas of prayer, work, leisure, communication with the outside, areas occupied by the resident community and others reserved for use as the Congregation's Mother House.
With the extinction of the religious orders in 1834, it was sold at auction, except for the church, sacristy and cloister of the cemetery.
It is classified as Property of Public Interest from 1944.
It remained in private hands until 1986, when it was acquired by the Portuguese State. Since then, the process of recovering the spoils that was very degraded and dilapidated began.
Due to its unique characteristics, the monastery was the chosen venue for the XXIII Iberian Summit which took place on January 18 and 19, 2008.
After an investment of 15 million euros, since November 2009 a community of the international missionary family Donum Dei of the Order of the Immaculate Workers, belonging to the Order Carmelita, is located in a wing of the monastery.
On February 11, 2010, it opened to the public a 9-room guest house and the restaurant "Eau Vive de Tibães" with capacity for 50 people.
In the monastery area you can feel the spaces and their times through the Historic Garden and the Monument Museum.
On January 21, 2015, the Assembly of the Republic recommended that the Government classify the Tibães Monastery as a national monument.