Park of Arms
Access to the Patio de Armas is via the entrance door.
The latter is covered by barrel vaults, and gives access not only to the Pátio de Armas but also to other rooms (main rooms of the castle, papal apartments, Gothic church room and upper terrace). At the entrance are carved emblems forming a frieze - the Cross of the Templars, the Thistles of the Master of the Templar Order, Friar Berenguer de Cardona and Bands of Arnaldo de Banyuls (Order of Montesa), commander of Peñíscola.
Access to the Weapons Courtyard from the Entrance Hall is via stairs. This space had a dual function – it was used as a cloister, similar to that of monasteries and also as a parade ground, as was so characteristic of medieval castles and the military character of the Order of Knights Templar.
When, in 1411, Benedict XIII established the papal seat in the castle, it underwent a series of works – restoration, construction and transformation. Restoration of some areas more damaged by the years of abandonment, namely the old cloister, construction of accommodation, including the pontifical apartments, and local transformation of the Knights Templar parade into a pontifical garden (there remain some vestiges - corbels - of this old gallery that are being studied ).
It was in this area that the pontifical garden was located, with vegetation mainly consisting of aromatic plants from the area, and whose main ornament was a monumental carved fountain built by the pontiff himself, known as the baptismal font of Pope Luna, and which is currently located in the Cathedral of Tortosa. In the Church of Santa Maria de Peñíscola there is a replica of this fountain.