The Penha’s Sanctuary (Sanctuary of Our Lady of Carmo da Penha, or Sanctuary of Our Lady of Penha), situated in Monte da Penha, was inaugurated in 1947. This Sancturay is a monument of singular beauty and of architectural and religious value.
This building is the masterpiece of architect Marques da Silva, where granite and straight lines predominate (somewhat modern for its time), and its architecture is integrated in the Art Deco style of the 1930s.
The Penha Sanctuary is a very important pilgrimage center that concentrates a large number of the faithful, especially during the summer season. Every year, on the second Sunday of September, a pilgrimage to the Shrine is celebrated.