The Temple of Diana
The Roman Temple of Évora along with the entire historic center is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1986.
The Roman Temple of Évora, symbol of the Roman presence in the Iberian Peninsula, is one of the most famous landmarks in the city and is located in the heart of the city, and it is classified as a National Monument.
The construction of the Roman Temple of Évora dates back to the first century, when Évora was known as Liberatias lulia. The Temple was built in the center of the Liberatias lulia forum (main square). Later, in the 2nd and 3rd centuries, the building underwent some architectural changes.
With the Germanic invasions of the fifth century, Évora was practically destroyed in its totality, and from the Roman Forum, only the ruins of the temple, last until the present.
In the Middle Ages, the ruins of the Roman Temple were incorporated into one of the towers of Évora Castle, having continued its columns, architraves and base embedded in the walls of the Castle. Between the 14th century and the year 1836, the temple, which had been transformed into a tower, was used as a butcher shop, and thanks to this use the remains of the temple were protected from further destruction.
Currently the temple is with its full base, has 14 columns built in granite, unfortunatelyits stairs are in ruins.
The Roman Temple of Évora underwent a restoration process, coordinated by Italian architect Giuseppe Cinatti, and considering its 2,000 years of existence, the building is in good condition.